Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tiger's Curse (Tiger #1) by Colleen Houck

THE BLURB:
Passion. Fate. Loyalty.
Would you risk it all to change your destiny?
The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she'd be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that's exactly what happened.
Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.







The Review:

Tiger's Curse
is more of a 4.5 out of 5 stars for me, just to be clear, because I wouldn't say that I was totally and completely amazed, but I loved it. Okay, how do I start? So this story, as you're all aware of, is about a prince named Dhiren or Ren who was cursed to be a Tiger for the rest of his life. Ren had almost lost faith and given up in breaking the said curse UNTIL Kelsey came to his life and brought back hope after centuries of waiting.



The turn of events has progressed very well as the story unfolded. I have to admit though, the first hundred pages of this book, as the other reviewers here have already mentioned, is slow-paced and seemingly dull. I advise that you keep reading the book albeit the first part drags, because once you reach the part wherein they start the adventure, I'm quite assured that you will be frantic in reading it page after page. I was surprised, actually, to love how the story have evolved from being tedious to being exciting and fascinating. 


The story focuses on a romantic-adventure between Ren and Kelsey (and Mr. Kadam, too, though not entirely). I loved all the adventures they had, particularly the last one that took place in the Kingdom of KishKindha because of their little arguments annnnd I find their sarcastic comebacks amusing. Kelsey, as a protagonist, was charming, thoughtful, witty, and lovable until last part. Maybe it's just me, but I am totally vexed on how her character have become in the ending---from being a charming, sweet girl into being a self-pitying, insecure one. I mean, I really don't follow that transformation of her because in the first up to the middle part of the book, she was all this confident, i-don't-care-what-you-think kind of girl, and then in the later part she's become insecure and annoying that when some certain scenes took over, I found myself exclaming a couple of Seriously?!s, Ugh!s and Oh, please! You've got to be kidding me!s. Ren, however, has constantly remained so amiable and so, so sweet (not to mention so SWOON-WORTHY) til the end. Okay, so maybe he has also changed a bit in the later part, but only to be better. I am saddened that he had to undergo Kelsey's what I call "idiotic stage" in the end because he really doesn't deserve to be treated like that at all. Just for the record though, I am rooting for Ren to be with Kelsey. Kishan's okay, but being me, I always go for the 'right guy' so Ren is definitely the one for me. ;) 


To sum up, TIGER'S CURSE has been a fun read for me. I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoyed the story a lot despite some of its flaws---which probably means that I'm definitely going to read Tiger's Quest (the second book). I give it a 4.5 Stars, a must-read for my fellow YA Fantasy Romance fanatics!

No comments:

Post a Comment