Monday, July 4, 2011

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) by Julie Kagawa

THE BLURB:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


The Review:

This book was soooo good that it overrides my uncertainty about fae books in general. I read a fae book once and most people thought the story was oh so good while methinks it was all meh. I know that, occasionally, those books that most YA readers go crazy for just does not appeal to me as much. I'm such a weirdo like that. But anyway, The Iron King has proved to me that there are always these kind of books who could thoroughly please me as greatly as it does most readers. The world that Ms. Kagawa have created was very fascinating and compelling in a way that it was almost vivid. Yes, lots---or should I say, all of them?---of fae books have their own version of the Seelie and Unseelie Courts including this book. But what makes it unique is that the author has combined A Midsummer Night's Dream with it---the characters, the plot, the world, etc---creating a magical and mythical yet very entertaining book.

I have to say that I immensely enjoyed reading it; there was never a dull moment for the story was fast-paced. I've never felt annoyed or even frustrated with the main character, Meghan Chase. Although she's had a crush on her school's most popular jock, and was always tormented by the school's pompom leaders, her character doesn't show any helplessness at all---which is typically the most exasperating characteristic of a main character sometimes. For me, Meghan Chase is a kick-ass heroine for she have this strong determination to do what is right even if it costs her own life.


And Ash....Oh, Ash! He's by far the most swoon-worthy literary crush I have. I LOVE everything about him! His arrogance, his indiferrent-yet-protective quality, his being an actual Ice Prince, his face...RAWR! Er, I just needed to breathe that one out, sorry. What was I saying? Oh, yeah, the book. Right. Uhm, and then there's also Puck, yes, the A Midsummer Night's Dream's Puck, whose always been a good friend of Meghan since childhood. I'm not very fond of him though, but he's not one of those characters that you'll find annoying. In fact, he's always in every amusing part in the book. Of course, there's a love triangle. And while I was never a fan of one, I still appreciate the tension between the three of them.


The plot was very creative and the ending was intense. It was so exciting and was well-thought-of. I loved the idea about the Technology giving birth to the Iron Feys---which made them almost invincible from the Seelie and Unseelie Court's faeries. That it was the human's growing curiosity and advance knowledge about computers and machines are where these Iron Faeries procure their power from. It was a good concept, really.


So, if you haven't gave this series a chance yet, then what on earth are you waiting for? Give it a try! I guarantee that you won't be disappointed. *two thumbs up*


Oh, and did I mention I love everything about Ash? :P


No comments:

Post a Comment