Saturday, June 18, 2011

Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved #2) by Cate Tiernan

The Blurb:
New name, new town, new life. Nastasya has done it too often to count. And there's no end in sight. Nothing ever really ends ...when you're immortal. But now, after centuries of feeding from the lives of the innocents around her, of living with little care for others, Nastasya is ready to turn towards the light. 'After some of the events I've witnessed I felt like I was a shell with nothing alive left in me. I hadn't been going around killing people, but people were hurt -- the memories just kept trickling in like rivulets of fresh acid dripping into my brain until I wanted to scream. It was in my blood, I knew. A darkness. The darkness. I had inherited it, along with my immortality and my black eyes.' Captivating, intense and with an incredible and original voice, EVERLASTING LIFE is a haunting story of friendship, love and secrets, tragedy and loss. Sometimes life is eternal...

The Review:
Immortal Beloved is one of the rare YA fantasy romance novels that can easily satisfy me as a reader who loves funny, paranormal romance, without the old and boring cliches. I mean, I have read a couple of books about immortals but none like this. 


Usually, the reason why I read books until the very end is because I am hooked on how the love story between the protagonist and his/her love interest works out. But with Immortal Beloved, I'm surprised that I am hooked not only because of their love story, but mostly because of how Nastasya (or Nasty) struggles and copes with all the fear she has from her past. I liked Reyn so much (yeah, I know, the Viking God) because I love it when the guys in the story are always defiant of how they feel and are always hating the protagonist, but deep inside they want them too much. The story focuses more on how Nastasya, a teenage immortal (teenage? right.) dealt over the horror of her old life, and how she managed to apprehend the difference of it with the new life she now has on River's Edge. 


I stayed up during the night reading this book because I couldn't put it down, and finished it within two nights. That one day I went to school, I had to put the book down, and all the while I am enthralled to continue reading the book the moment I got home. 


Cate Tiernan did very well in writing this book that I've never felt bored reading it. She's done a perfect mix of romance, comedy, and mystery with Immortal Beloved. I found myself cracking up whenever Nasty did a hilarious internal monologue, as well as the heavy sarcasms she always give out. I laughed out loud when I read, "Here stoney stoney stoney...come to mama!" LOL. And the other one with the evil chicken, they were hilarious. 


I'm thinking of what I didn't like in this book, but could only think of none. Maybe the only thing I didn't like is that I still have to wait for September to read the second installment in this trilogy, which is Darkness Falls. I am sooo going to wait for that one. There's one part of the book which had a loose end, but then, this is the first book and there's still two other books coming out so it's not much of a big deal. 



I am really, really, really looking forward on how will Cate Tiernan tie up the loose end in this book in Darkness Falls. I wanted to know what Incy would do when he finds out where Nasty is and how he's going to react when he finds out that Reyn & Nasty are together. That will be sooooo freaking good. I am officially excited! 

No comments:

Post a Comment